Clearly and effectively exchange information, ideas, facts, and perspectives with persons inside and outside of an organization.
- Understand the importance of and demonstrate verbal, written, and non-verbal/body language, abilities.
- Employ active listening, persuasion, and influencing skills.
- Communicate in a clear and organized manner so that others can effectively understand.
- Frame communication with respect to diversity of learning styles, varied individual communication abilities, and cultural differences.
- Ask appropriate questions for specific information from supervisors, specialists, and others.
- Promptly inform appropriate people when needing guidance with assigned tasks.
- Sales abilities
- Public speaking
- Presentation mastery
- Speaking well (clear diction, professional)
- Writing business correspondence
- Professional email etiquette
- Phone etiquette
- Customer service
- Active Listening
- Understanding body language
- Art of storytelling
- Identifying communication barriers
- Understanding your communication style and that of others
- Elevator speech
- Effective interviewing
- Negotiation skills
- Learning to be an assertive communicator but not a complainer
Action-words that describe this skill
- DISC Assessment
- Speech Communications, COMM 102
- Intro to Storytelling, COMM 180
- Rhetorical Composition, COMP 111
- Foundational Analytical Composition, COMP 211
- All writing intensive academic courses
- Participating in student organizations