Fascinated by people and love understanding what makes them tick? The social sciences are united by a focus on understanding the workings of human society. This could mean becoming an expert in one particular sphere, such as psychology or political science, or taking a more holistic approach to understanding the causes of social change or the relationships between individual and state.
Each major has a specific curriculum to prepare graduates for professional and career success, but human relationships are key throughout the Social Sciences and Education.
- Political Science majors study political history, the institutions of government, and the people served by them.
- Psychology majors examine human relationships that focus on self and others.
- Sociology majors examine the relationships within and among groups of the world.
- Social Work majors pursue a ministry of service to the human community.
- Teacher Education students examine the critical relationships between child and caregiver.
Internships and research provide students with practical application of theoretical material as well as opportunities to contribute directly to scholarship in their respective fields. Political science and pre-law students participate in Model UN and have a chance to debate, write legislation, negotiate, and apply their research to real-life programs in the Tennessee Intercollegiate State Legislature (TISL).