Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Counseling prof to share story of overcoming hardship

Christine Browning

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (February 2, 2018)—As part of Milligan College’s Faculty Lecture Series, Associate Professor of Counseling Dr. Christine Browning will share her personal testimony from the recently published second edition of her book, “Psalms of My Heart,” her personal story of recovery from sexual abuse. The lecture will be held in Milligan’s Derthick Hall on Monday, Feb. 12, at 6 p.m. and is free and open to the public.

The poems/psalms share her salvation, days of lament and experiences of redemption.

“‘Psalms of My Heart’ began as prayers penned during my early morning conversations with God through a very dark, difficult time,” said Browning. “The prayer poems—or psalms—in the book represent over 30 years of my life.”

Originally published in 1984, “Psalms of My Heart” contained entries compiled over 14 years from devotional columns in weekly newspapers, The Collierville Herald and The Collierville Independent, of Collierville, Tennessee. The second printing, published by Red Tent Living in 2016, came about as the result of personal narrative story work Browning has done and contains portions of her life experience.

“Stories are powerful and everybody has one,” said Browning, who is a licensed professional counselor, a nationally-certified counselor and a psychological examiner. “Parts of everyone’s story contain difficulty and pain.”

Browning earned her Ph.D. in counselor education from the University of Mississippi, a master’s and educational specialist degrees from the University of Memphis, and a bachelor’s degree from Crichton College. She has a passion for working with individuals who have experienced trauma and abuse in childhood and is a certified trauma and abuse counselor.

“My prayer is that my story and book will breathe hope into the silence and give voice to the proclamation of God’s triumph over evil,” said Browning. “Beauty is born in us when we can confidently step into our stories, examine the damage, address the shame, and identify how God’s redemption is at work.”

Posted by on February 2, 2018.