Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan recognizes 2019 Jeanes Scholarship recipients

MILLIGAN COLLEGE (July 15, 2019) – Milligan College awarded its most prestigious academic scholarship, the Jeanes Honors Scholarship, to incoming freshmen Olivia Brokaw, of Lexington, South Carolina, and Travis Kyker, of Travelers Rest, South Carolina.

As the 2019 Jeanes Honors Scholars, Brokaw and Kyker are recognized for their outstanding academic ability, commitment to scholarly pursuits, sincere Christian faith and their service to others.

Brokaw, a homeschool student, remained active in her local community throughout high school. She created and led a book club for middle and high school students for two years. In addition, she taught with the children’s ministry at her local church and volunteered with various other ministries. She has been a dancer for 15 years, and she shared that passion as a student dance assistant for the past three years. She is the daughter of Tim and Terri Brokaw.

Brokaw sought a college that would challenge her academically as well as strengthen her faith.

“The humanities major is ideal for me, yet the biggest reason I chose Milligan is its community of Christ-followers and servant-leaders,” shared Brokaw. “I want to be a servant-leader, and I wanted a school that would strengthen both my faith and knowledge. Milligan is the perfect fit.”

Kyker attended Upstate Homeschool Co-op and devoted his time to filmmaking, volunteering with a home repair nonprofit and serving in his youth group. Kyker is the son of Jimmy and Judy Kay Kyker.

Kyker plans to major in communications with a focus in film studies. In high school, he won first place in the 2018 South Carolina Young Filmmakers Project and Honorable Mention in 2019. He also was a contributing writer for FilmFisher.com.

For Kyker, Milligan’s culture was the deciding factor.

“Right away, I had the feeling that faith runs deep at Milligan and influences the entire culture,” said Kyker. “That culture really impressed me and made me realize this would be an incredible atmosphere in which to grow my knowledge and faith.”

Named in memory of former president Dr. Donald Jeanes, the Jeanes Scholarships are full-tuition, merit-based academic awards that are part of the Milligan Honors Program. This scholarship provides an advanced opportunity for high-achieving students from all major fields to deepen their intellectual scholarship, leadership and service.

Upcoming college freshmen who are interested in Milligan’s Honors Program and honors scholarships for fall 2020 must be admitted and submit the Honors Program Application by December 1, 2019. Candidates for honors scholarships are selected based on high school GPA and ACT/SAT-I scores. For more information, visit www.milligan.edu/honors.

Posted by on July 15, 2019.