Menu

New ESL teaching endorsement helps fill TN shortage

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (Dec. 12, 2017) — Milligan College’s teacher education program is now offering a dual licensure English as a Second Language (ESL) program, helping to fill a critical shortage of ESL teachers in the state of Tennessee.

“One of the greatest needs in Tennessee public schools are teachers who can help an ever-growing population of students whose native language is not English,” said Dr. Angela Hilton-Prillhart, chair of Milligan’s education area. “Not only are Milligan’s education graduates among the most sought-after teachers in area school systems, an ESL endorsement combined with other licensure areas will make our graduates extremely competitive and prepared to work with students from a wide variety of backgrounds.”

Milligan’s ESL program is available for initial licensure, or as an add-on for already licensed teachers. The hybrid in-person/online program gives students flexibility in their schedule, while also providing real-world experience working with English language learners.

Milligan’s teacher education program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, as well as the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

For 2010 alum Daniela De Sousa Arocha, who was born in Caracas, Venezuela, pursuing dual licensure in K-5 elementary education and ESL licensure at Milligan is a calling.

“When I came to the states at 8-years-old, I didn’t know any English,” said De Sousa Arocha, a Master of Education student. “My ESL teacher made a huge impact on me, and I want to make that same impact on students whose language is not English. I feel that I will be able to understand what they are going through since I experienced the same feelings and struggles that they likely are going through.”

###

MILLIGAN COLLEGE is a Christian liberal arts college in Northeast Tennessee whose vision is to change lives and shape culture through a commitment to servant leadership. The college offers more than 100 majors, minors, pre-professional degrees and concentrations in a variety of fields, along with graduate and adult degree completion programs.  To learn more about Milligan College, visit www.milligan.edu or call 800-262-8337.

« Back to News & Events