Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan kicks off school year with Welcome Week

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (August 11, 2016) — New students are set to arrive on Milligan College’s campus this Saturday, August 13, kicking off a new year at Buff Nation.

In order to help acclimate those students to campus life, Milligan hosts “Welcome Week,” Aug. 13-20, a carefully structured and supportive introduction to their new college. Returning students arrive on Sunday, Aug. 14, and Emmanuel Christian Seminary at Milligan will have check-in/orientation on Monday, Aug. 15. Classes begin for everyone on Wednesday, Aug. 17.

Milligan sophomore Keila Trevino had sound advice for incoming freshmen: “Don’t worry.”

“When I arrived for Welcome Week last fall, I was so anxious about making friends and what people would think of me,” said Trevino, from Brownsville, Texas, “but once I just starting having fun and doing as many students activities as I could, I found a good niche for myself.”

Trevino felt the weeklong experience was critical in helping her settle into a new life on a college campus.

“I was able to meet so many people who I can still call my friends,” said Trevino, who is a Goah Diversity Scholar and participates in numerous activities on campus, including student government. “We continue to have classes and lunch together often.”

Her favorite activity during Welcome Week was going to Doe River Gorge for the annual Buff Nation Migration, a daytrip of exciting outdoor adventure.

“It was super fun, and I got to meet my roommate and suite mates,” said Trevino. “I’m not from East Tennessee, so it was a great opportunity to see the beautiful environment.”

One of the most celebrated and meaningful traditions of Welcome Week is the annual Matriculation ceremony, to be held Saturday, Aug. 13, at 7:45 p.m. in the Mary B. Martin Auditorium of Milligan’s Seeger Chapel. During Matriculation, new students officially “sign-in” to the records of the college and formally become part of the Milligan community.

In addition to fun activities like going to an Elizabethton Twins game and a movie at State Line Drive-In, new students will learn more about the campus, network with peers and partner with faculty mentors and team leaders who help guide them through their first year. For returning students, it is a time to reconnect with friends and once again settle into collegiate life.

For a complete schedule of Welcome Week 2016 activities, visit www.milligan.edu/sizzler.

Posted by on August 11, 2016.