Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Capturing the moment

Milligan senior invited to exhibit work at ETSU’s Slocumb Galleries

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (March 30, 2012) — In the age of digital photography, a 1933 Eastman Kodak 8×10 view camera is a rare find.

Milligan College senior Daniel Jones discovered one in a barn in Indiana. The camera, which was owned by a collector Jones’ dad found through his photography club, was in good condition.

“When I first saw the camera, my eyes just lit up,” said Jones, a photography major at Milligan. “I was afraid to ask the price.  When he told me how much he wanted for it, it was very reasonable and I got to take the camera home.”

That began Jones’ passion for the art of view camera photography.

Less than two years after he found his camera, the photographs Jones has taken with it will be on display April 2-6 at East Tennessee State University’s Slocumb Galleries. There will be an opening reception for the exhibit, titled “Close to Home,” on Tuesday, April 3, from 5-7 p.m. at the gallery. The exhibit and reception are free and open to the public.

Internationally-known photographer and ETSU Professor Mike Smith invited Jones to display his work at Slocumb Galleries. As part of Milligan’s co-op program with ETSU, Jones took Smith’s view camera class in the ETSU Department of Art & Design.

“I am honored that Professor Smith asked me to exhibit my photography at ETSU,” Jones said. “He has helped me develop ideas into photographs and challenged me to explore different vantage points and composition of photos.”

“Close to Home” is a photographic study of family and childhood in East Tennessee. Using 22 images shot in large format film photography, Jones specifically focuses on two families from the area. The exhibit also was displayed in the Milligan Art Gallery earlier this year.

The photographs reflect Jones’ passion for large format photography, a craft that requires much study to master.

“My camera case is about 30 pounds and the tripod is seven pounds,” Jones said. “But I’m OK with the inconvenience of it because of the results it gives.  The look of a photograph from an 8×10 is quite distinct.”

Jones uses a loupe to focus on the details he wants to capture in each photograph. After the careful process of setting up and shooting the photo, Jones also develops and hand prints all of his work.

“I love that I am able to master the camera and the art from start to finish,” Jones said. “To me, that’s the beauty of my craft.”

Slocumb Galleries is located at ETSU’s Ernest C. Ball Hall. The gallery is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with extended hours during receptions. For more information about Slocumb Galleries, email contrera@etsu.edu or call 423.483.3179. To learn more about Milligan, visit www.milligan.edu.

Posted by on March 30, 2012.