Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Servant leadership at work

Elizabethton police chief completes business degree at Milligan

Matt Bailey

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (Nov. 18, 2011) — Matt Bailey is used to being in the public eye—and not just because his face is on billboards for Milligan College.

As chief of the Elizabethton (Tenn.) Police Department, his job is to serve and protect public safety. Every day, he and the officers who work with him come into conta

ct with people from all walks of life—some are struggling with difficult circumstances, addictions and crime.

“To be in this job, you have to have genuine compassion,” Bailey said. “Most people in law enforcement have a strong desire to make the world a better place. And for me, it’s even about something bigger—being a vessel for Christ in what I do each day.”

When he was named chief of police in 2007, Bailey had years of experience as a paramedic, a desire to make a difference and strong leadership potential. But there was one thing he did not have that he believed would make him an even better public servant.

“I wanted to finish my business degree,” said Bailey.

He took his first step toward completing that goal with a phone call to Milligan to learn more about the college’s Business Administration Adult Degree Completion Program.

Milligan’s affordable Bachelor of Science in business administration program for working adults requires only 16 months of class time, with students taking only one, five-week course at a time. By scheduling courses just one night per week, the program allows students to work toward their degree while working full time.

“I knew when I hung up the phone that day that Milligan’s program was doable,” Bailey said. “The positive, can-do attitude of everyone I came into contact with at Milligan that day and throughout my experience there made all the difference.

“I could feel that everyone at Milligan actually cared about you; you’re not just a student ID number.”

However, it
was more than just the welcoming, positive attitude that impressed Bailey. He also appreciated the practical application of what he learned at Milligan.

“I use something I learned in the classroom every single day,” said Bailey, who completed his business administration degree in December 2009. “The professors and curriculum at Milligan give you what you need to survive in the business world—none of it is ‘fluff.’”

In a job like Bailey’s, there is no time for “fluff” as he confronts critical issues and meets people whose lives could depend on the work of his department. However, there is always time for lessons of compassion and servant leadership. These go hand-in-hand with what he learned in his classes at Milligan.

“Milligan’s mission of developing servant leaders is evident in its professors’ lives, classes and approach to learning,” Bailey said. “As a public servant, this is critical, and I try to infuse it every day into what we do at the police department.”

To learn more about Milligan’s ADCP business program, email bsba@milligan.edu or call 423.461.8782
.

Posted by on November 18, 2011.