Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Artist returns to her ‘Neck of the Woods’ for Milligan exhibit

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (Oct. 12, 2011) — “My Neck of the Woods: in a can and a brush,” an art exhibit by Milligan College alumna Carrie Theobald Buell, opens Saturday, Oct. 29, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in Milligan’s Derthick Art Gallery. The exhibit of photographs, paintings and mixed media will remain on display through Thursday, Nov. 10.

The Oct. 29 opening is part of the college’s annual Homecoming festivities, Oct. 28-29. The opening reception and exhibit are free and open to the public.

Buell grew up in Johnson City, Tenn., and graduated from Milligan in 1997 with a degree in fine arts. She is a former member of the Christian folk band, Alathea, and currently lives in the historic district of Nashville, Tenn., where she is known as “artist theo.” Her husband, Garett Buell, is photographer and the percussionist for the group Caedmon’s Call. Three years ago, the couple started a company, studiobuell, encompassing music, art and photography.

“My Neck of the Woods” examines the mysterious harmony of both the joy and the ache where true, artful beauty lies. Buell’s work portrays the gracefulness, authenticity, hard work, hopes, fears and pain of individuals in her community.

“As much as I would like to say it is the ‘what’ that has shaped my work, it is more about the ‘who,’” said Buell. “It’s a laugh of a friend suffering from cancer, the touch of a newborn baby in the NICU, my belly aching from laughter while walking a half marathon when we should be running, or holding a familiar hand when words can’t be found.

“I hope that my legacy is one of redemption—one where Christ dwelled. I hope that my creativeness, most of all, expresses the Redeemer, the lover who will never let us go,” said Buell.

For more information about Milligan’s Homecoming events, visit www.milligan.edu/homecoming. To learn more about arts events at Milligan, visit www.milligan.edu/arts.

Posted by on October 12, 2011.