Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Finding a sense of community at Milligan

By Chelsea Farnam
Johnson City Press

MILLIGAN COLLEGE – For many of the 268 new students at Milligan College this year, being a Buffalo is about the community atmosphere and receiving a Christian education.    Hailing from 24 states and three foreign countries, 2010’s new students traveled to Milligan to grow in their faith among students with similar beliefs and interests.

Delila Danch, 18, from New Wilmington, Pa., found Milligan through the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities. Danch said she wanted to attend a Christian college “to become stronger in my faith and to never lose that.” Danch is an undecided major at this point. “I visited and just fell in love with Milligan because the campus was so beautiful,” she said.

Stephen Joiner, 18, of Mountain City, visited Milligan three times last year, staying overnight in on-campus housing. “I just had a blast,” said Joiner of one of his visit experiences. “We stayed up until like 3 a.m. playing kickball. One of the things I really liked about Milligan is the atmosphere and the kind of people who come here.” Joiner is majoring in business with a minor in legal studies. He is also a member of the tennis team.

Out of Milligan’s 21 total courses of study, nursing has topped the charts with incoming students, soon followed by human performance and exercise science. After that, new students mostly chose biology, business, Bible and communication.

As a Christian college, Milligan drew some students uniquely interested in Bible and ministry-related courses of study. “I wanted to be a worship leader, and I couldn’t find many colleges with that major,” said 18-year-old Beattie Renn from Frederick, Md. “I prayed about it a lot, and I felt led to be a worship leader, so that’s what I’m going to do.”

New students took part in the annual Welcome Week before classes started, participating in the formal matriculation ceremony and the far less formal adventure day at Doe River Gorge. During the matriculation ceremony, new students take part in a procession along with faculty in Seeger Chapel, signing their name in the school’s record.

After students bid farewell to their families and moved into their dorms, campus activities leadership took the group to Doe River Gorge where they spent a day making friends and playing sports on a lake.

After two days on campus, transfer student   Nickie Ball, 21, said she was already satisfied with her experience as a Buffalo. “It’s crazy better,” she said. “The student life — this is already more than I’ve done at any other campus.”

Classes began at Milligan August 18.

Posted by on August 31, 2010.