Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Retiring Milligan professor to speak in chapel

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (February 23, 2006) — Milligan College chair of biblical learning and professor of Bible and Christian ministry, Dr. R. David Roberts, will speak on Thursday, March 2, at 11:00 a.m. in Seeger Memorial Chapel on the topic “Scripture Reading in Worship.”

Roberts plans to retire in August, concluding a 24-year teaching career.

“My experience as a faculty member at Milligan has been a wonderful and fulfilling part of my life,” said Roberts. “I never expected when I left here as a graduate in 1964 I would return to teach here but I truly feel I’ve fulfilled God’s purpose for my teaching career.”

Roberts began his teaching career at Milligan in 1982, following a 14 year ministry with Traders Point Christian Church in Indianapolis, Ind. He holds a bachelor of arts degree in history, with a minor in Bible, from Milligan. He later attended Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., where he earned both a master of divinity degree in theology and a doctorate of ministry in pastoral ministry. He currently holds the Starkey Chair of Bible and Christian Ministries at Milligan.

Roberts has served as an elder and teacher at Grandview Christian Church in Johnson City for several years. During the upcoming sabbatical of their senior minister, he will be preaching at Grandview twice a month for most of the next year beginning in July.

“The entire experience of working with such a tremendous faculty of colleagues in Christian education, and the privilege of teaching Bible and ministry classes to people who are just forming their convictions and patterns, has been amazing,” Roberts said. “I feel honored and blessed to have been a part of the Milligan community through all these years.”

Roberts plans to remain in the area with his wife, Donna. He is looking forward to traveling frequently to Indiana and Georgia to visit his three children and 10 grandchildren.

For more information about Milligan College chapel services contact Nathan Flora, Milligan College campus minister, at 423.461.8748, or NFlora@milligan.edu .

Posted by on February 23, 2006.