Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Father of “Let’s Roll!” hero to speak at National Day of Prayer event

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (April 25, 2003) — David Beamer, father of the late Todd Beamer who was killed on Flight 93 during the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, will speak next Thursday, May 1, at a Milligan College chapel service in conjunction with the 52nd Annual National Day of Prayer.

Beamer, who is a longtime friend and supporter of Milligan College, will speak on the topic of servant leadership. The 11 a.m. chapel service will conclude with a special prayer service. The chapel service is open to the community and will be held in Seeger Memorial Chapel.

“The Beamers have not chosen the public role they have so graciously accepted,” explained President Don Jeanes. “In the days following the tragic events of September 11, they found their family’s loss prominently in the minds of all Americans.”

As chief operating officer of Legato Systems, Beamer was at a business meeting in San Francisco when he received the news about the terrorist attacks and that his son, Todd, was aboard United Airlines Flight 93.

“When my wife, Peggy, called to tell me that Todd was on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, I was stunned with disbelief,” said Beamer. “My heart was breaking, and my mind was in denial. With friends surrounding me, I sensed the Lord’s strength sustaining me.”

It was later learned that with the now famous words, “Let’s roll!,” 32-year-old Todd Beamer led a group of passengers in trying to take command of Flight 93 to prevent the terrorists from flying the Boeing 757 into the White House or U.S. Capitol. With those words and with his death, Todd Beamer became an American hero.

“The reason Todd acted with conviction and courage in those extraordinary moments when Flight 93 was falling to the ground was because he maintained his integrity and values in the ordinary moments of his life,” said Beamer, who explained that Todd knew how to integrate his faith into his daily life and professional decisions.

The Beamers continue to feel a devastating loss. But they see how God has used this tragedy to open doors to discuss and share their Christian faith.

“Peggy, Lisa and I have been given amazing opportunities to talk about God, the promise of eternal life, and the calmness and assurance He can bring,” said Beamer, who worships at the Church of Christ at Manor Woods in Rockville, Md.

Beamer holds a bachelor of electrical engineering and MBA degrees from Ohio State University. He has served in management positions with IBM, Amdahl Corporation, Filetek and has been COO of Legato Systems since 2001.

The chapel and prayer service will start at 11 a.m. in Seeger Memorial Chapel. The event is open to the public. For more information, please call 423.461.8719.

Posted by on April 25, 2003.