A student being commissioned into the U.S. Marine Core on campus


Milligan University is a veteran-friendly institution. The university allows for military transfer credit, flexibility on registration and withdrawals due to deployments, and payment deferments while awaiting properly applied-for educational benefits.

Milligan waives all internal admission application fees for veterans and provides individual counseling during the application and admission process. Use the code YELLOWRIBBON to waive the application fee. Give us a call at 800.262.8337, and we’ll walk you through the admissions process.

Milligan’s Registrar’s Office is honored to assist students who have served in the United States Armed Forces and now desire to use their educational benefits. We look forward to helping you reach your education goals as well as those of dependents and or spouses of deceased soldiers through Dependents Educational Assistance.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Steps to Apply

Milligan honors a rolling admission policy, which means the admission committee will consider applications throughout the year, as long as space is available. However, we encourage first time students to apply early (by February 1 for Fall) for maximum scholarship and financial aid consideration. Also please note there are some academic and scholarship programs with specific dates and deadlines.

  • APPLICATION: Complete and submit your official application.
  • TRANSCRIPT: Request that a copy of your transcript(s) be mailed directly from your high school or any former colleges attended. 
  • TEST SCORES: Request that official ACT, SAT-I, or CLT scores be sent directly to Milligan.
    • ACT code: 3996
    • SAT-I code: 1469
    • Milligan accepts superscores.
    • CONTACT: Becky Robertson, Associate Registrar/ VA School Certifying Official (RLRobertson@milligan.edu, 423-461-8415).
      • Submit the following information to the School Certifying Official:
        • VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) – required for all benefit recipients,
        • DD-214 (discharge papers) and military transcripts-required for veterans
      • The Certifying Official will evaluate military and non-military education credits to determine what you need to complete your desired program of study. The Certifying Official will help you find the appropriate VA resources to determine eligibility for specific chapters of VA educational benefits for which you might be eligible.
      • New Students: References will be required from students who have an ACT score below 19, SAT score (after March 2016) below 990, an old SAT score (prior to March 2016) of 900, or a GPA below 2.75. One academic reference and one church/character reference will be required. You will be notified if these are required of you.
      • Transfers: References will be required from transfer students with a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.5 or below. One academic reference and one church/character reference will be required. You will be notified if these are required of you.
Seeger's Steeple infant of a yellow sunset