Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

The Importance of Civil Discourse

A message from President Greer

January 7, 2021

Dear Milligan community,

MU - Romans 14-19As I reflect on yesterday’s events in Washington, DC, I am appalled and embarrassed.  I’m appalled at the behavior of individuals who inexplicably thought the best way to achieve their goal was to aggressively and violently attack our nation’s capital, a place that is, itself, representative of our democracy.  And I’m embarrassed that some of our nation’s leaders would promote such behavior, evidently oblivious that such actions are themselves an assault on the very freedoms they claim to defend.

I am reminded again of the importance of civil discourse and honest dialogue.  Our own community doesn’t always agree on everything, but as children of God, we know we are all created in His image.  Differences are what make life interesting and beautiful, and I pray we will always be able to sort out our disagreements in ways that demonstrate love and respect for one another.

Please join me in praying for our country, our leaders, and our community.  May we work together to make Milligan, and the world, a better place.

Bill Greer, Ph.D.
Milligan University President

Posted by on January 7, 2021.