Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan signs first recruits for drumline and disc golf

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (April 16, 2020) — Milligan College’s newly established drumline and disc golf team have received their first commitments for fall 2020.

Topher Emerine of Bristol, Tennessee, is the first signee for Milligan’s drumline.

“Topher has all of the qualities and traits we need to start a program,” said Dave Whaley, Milligan’s drumline director. “His experience and leadership skills will be pivotal in developing the drumline. I cannot wait to have Topher and others strap on their drums and start making noise on campus.”

Emerine was a member of the marching band, concert band and percussion ensemble at Tennessee High School. During his senior year, he served as the drum captain.

“When I learned that Milligan was transitioning to a university and starting a drumline, I knew this was the place for me,” shared Emerine. “I am looking forward to helping form the drumline, continuing to use my gifts and talent to bring God glory, and being part of the first entering class at Milligan University.”

In addition, Milligan’s disc golf team secured their first commitment with Zach Bivens, a transfer student from the University of North Carolina Greensboro.

“The level of commitment that Milligan is putting towards building a disc golf program stood well above any other college,” said Bivens. “The addition of Tim as the program director, the generous scholarship offer and an on-campus course set Milligan apart from anywhere else. Milligan is the perfect fit for me as it combines my passion for disc golf with the high-quality education the college offers.”

Bivens has been playing competitive disc golf for two years and has competed in multiple disc golf tournaments. His best finish was a sixth place finish at the 2019 Oak Hollow Open in the Men’s Amateur 3 Division.

Milligan Disc Golf Director Tim Barr looks forward to helping Bivens continue to grow at Milligan.

“I am very excited to welcome Zach to Milligan as our first signee for disc golf,” said Barr. “Zach was one of the first students I was in contact with after accepting this position. After a brief conversation, he immediately began planning a transfer from UNC Greensboro. His enthusiasm for disc golf is evident, and I look forward to having Zach grow as a player.”

Milligan has established three new student affinity groups for fall 2020 – drumline, disc golf and fly fishing. For more information, visit admission-new.milligan.edu/student-activity-scholarship/.

Posted by on April 16, 2020.