Faculty, staff, and students are required to complete daily self-screening and temperature evidence through the Ascend website (can be used from a PC or mobile device) before entering classrooms, buildings, or offices. Depending on the answers, the Ascend tool will clear them to attend class or work, or advise them to stay at home or in their room.
- Begin screening using the Ascend software when you return to campus, no later than the first day of classes on Jan. 25
- Daily screening is required before off-campus people come to campus. If you live on-campus, complete the screening before you leave your room/apartment.
- Daily use is required for all individuals when on campus. If you are experiencing symptoms, on quarantine, or on isolation, daily use is required every day, including weekends, regardless of whether you are on or off campus.
- You will be asked to show your clearance screen on your mobile device when entering classrooms, cafeteria and grill, libraries, Wellness Center and fieldhouse, and offices. If you do not have a mobile device, complete the screening on your computer, print the last screen, and carry it with you when on campus.
- Those failing (red screen) to meet the screening standard are not permitted to enter any campus facilities. Employees should contact their supervisor. Students should contact Health Services, their instructors, and coaches and athletic trainers if applicable. Visitors should reschedule visits after 14 days.
It is easy to use. Each morning, faculty, staff, and students will take a 15-second survey, answering questions about their symptoms and any known exposure to COVID-19. The software will combine that information with contextual data and other risk factors to tell each student or employee whether to report to campus/class/work that day or not.
Those failing to meet any screening standard are not permitted to enter any campus facilities. Employees should contact their supervisor. Students should contact Health Services, their instructors, and coaches and athletic trainers if applicable. Visitors should reschedule visits after 14 days.
In addition to Ascend, screening and temperature checks will take place frequently in high-risk and/or close contact environments such as classrooms, labs, studios, rehearsals, lessons, performances, group meetings, athletic practices and events, and student activities.
What is it? Ascend is a web-based platform that provides a technological solution to the challenge of self-screening as a foundational strategy of return-to-campus initiatives. It helps us protect our students and employees from the spread of COVID-19. The Ascend platform gives our Response Team the real-time information they need to assess the risk of virus spread through our campus community and take proactive steps to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Data protection and privacy. While Ascend makes invisible COVID risk visible and manageable, it keeps data protected, in accordance with the 1996 Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). HIPAA and FERPA require that healthcare data be protected with stringent privacy procedures, and our partnership with Base Camp Health will be 100% compliant with appropriate privacy regulations.
Ascend makes use of healthcare data of students and employees in its assessment of their risk of COVID-19 infection. But that data is visible only to the user and authorized medical personnel. When users are asked to remain at their residence or given instruction to locate testing, the details of that information is not made available to supervisors or instructors. They know only whether a user will be allowed to attend class or come to work, but they are not told why.
Additionally, the platform itself makes use of the most current data protection measures available, from data encryption to secure site protocols for the physical locations of our servers to protect data from bad actors. Data security is a primary focus of Base Camp Health, and their Ascend application deploys industry-leading protection measures for our employee and student information. Our students and employees can be assured both that users are protected from data risk and that HIPAA and FERPA provisions are fully met.
How to Access Ascend
All students and employees will receive an email from BaseCamp Health with access information. (Please add the email address firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list.)
Be sure to check your junk folder just in case the email gets routed there. If you still have not received it, send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
Log into the application, reset your password, and ensure everything is working properly.
Each day, visit https://basecamp-health.com/ascend and select “Login” in the upper righthand corner each day to log in and complete the assessment. We recommend bookmarking the Base Camp Health website to your mobile browser for ease of every day use.