COVID Response



Concerns and Issues


After students have exhausted appropriate appeals processes by communicating with faculty and staff directly involved in the issue at hand, students may lodge formal complaints, in writing, using the Student Complaint Form available on the website and in the Student Development Office.

  • Student Affairs Issues (e.g., housing, food service, student activities, athletics, intramurals, spiritual life, parking): Complaints should be directed to the vice president for student development.
  • Academic Affairs Issues (e.g., faculty, courses, schedules, transcripts, information technology, registration): Complaints should be directed to the vice president for academic affairs.
  • Business Affairs Issues (e.g., financial aid, workstudy, student accounts, bookstore, physical facilities and grounds): Complaints should be directed to the vice president for business and finance.

The vice president (student development, academic affairs, business and finance) will respond to complaints within a reasonable time. Should the response be unsatisfactory, or should a complaint arise for an area not listed above, a formal written complaint may be submitted to the Office of the President.

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (https://www.tn.gov/thec/bureaus/student-aid-and-compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization/request-for-complaint-review.html).

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards (https://www.nc-sara.org/content/sara-manual) have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member states, please visit the NC-SARA website (https://www.nc-sara.org/sara-states-institutions). Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

(Persons other than Students)

After persons other than students have exhausted appropriate appeals processes by communicating with University personnel directly involved in the issue at hand, persons may lodge formal complaints, in writing, using the Complaint Form for the Public (Persons other than Students) available on the website and in the Office of the President. The President or his/her
assignees will respond to complaints within a reasonable time.

Formal written complaints that may affect the accreditation status of the University should be submitted to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The complaint form is available on the Commission’s website (http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf). Following is a statement taken from the SACSCOC policy statement titled, “Complaint Procedures against the Commission or its Accredited Institutions”: “Because the Commission’s complaint procedures are for the purpose of addressing any significant non-compliance with the Commission’s standards, policies, or procedures, the procedures are not intended to be used to involve the Commission in disputes between individuals and member institutions, or cause the Commission to interpose itself as a reviewing authority in individual matters of admission, grades, granting or transferability of credits, application of academic policies, fees or other financial matters, disciplinary matters or other contractual rights and obligations. Nor does the Commission seek redress on an individual’s behalf. Furthermore, the Commission will not serve as a grievance panel when the outcome of institutional grievance or appeal processes is unsatisfactory to the complainant.”

Complaints related to the application of state laws or rules related to approval to operate or licensure of a particular professional program within a postsecondary institution shall be referred to the appropriate state board (i.e., State Board of Health, State Board of Education, and so on) within the Tennessee State Government and shall be reviewed and handled by that licensing board. See applicable information at http://www.tn.gov; then search for the appropriate division.

Complaints related to state consumer protection laws (e.g., laws related to fraud or false advertising) shall be referred to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and shall be reviewed and handled by that unit (http://www.tn.gov/consumer/).


Please see the University Catalog for official details on this topic.

Professional Licensure

General Requirements:  Milligan offers several degree programs in which the curriculum is intended to prepare students for professional licensure in that field of study.  Each of the following programs provide specific information about the states in which the curriculum meets or does not meet the licensure requirements, and those states in which a determination has not been made.

Direct Requirements:  If Milligan determines that a program’s curriculum does not meet the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in which a student who is currently enrolled is located, the institution will provide written notice to that effect within 14 calendar days of making such a determination.  Milligan will determine the state a student is located at the time of the student’s initial enrollment unless a student formally submits a change of address to the registrar’s office.

Degree Programs leading to Professional Licensure:

Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act

Information relative to the Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act (Public Law 101-542) is available in the Student Development Office. This information includes campus crime statistics and graduation rates by athletic participation, gender, and ethnicity.

In accordance with the Tennessee College and University Security Information Act of 1989, Milligan University has prepared a report containing campus security policies and procedures, data on campus crimes, and other related information. A free copy of this report may be obtained by any student, employee, or applicant for admission or employment from the Office of Student Development, Milligan University, Milligan, Tennessee 37682.