School of Bible & Ministry
Few ministry roles have such an immediate impact on churches today as the Worship Leader. Milligan College seeks to prepare people for such leadership through a combination of biblical studies, historical awareness, general ministry preparation, and artistic skills.
We believe that leading worship of God through Jesus Christ demands the best of knowledge and ability, but also the spiritual depth and integrity to help others worship “in spirit and truth.” Consequently, this major is a combination of portions of the Bible major and of music and fine arts. Students are encouraged to take more of the classes in either discipline for additional benefit, but the combination in the requirements for this major will provide a good starting point and sufficient tools to build a solid and lasting ministry.
Worship leadership prepares a student to participate in the ministry staff of a local church and lead Christian people in worship that is scripturally sound and musically or artistically competent. By building on the basic education received in this Milligan degree program, a student can appropriately develop the worship and musical or artistic strengths of a church and personally function in other ministry roles if needed or desired. The liberal arts foundation and the cross-concentration in ministry focus provide an excellent platform on which to stand and lead, or to continue to build more specialized leadership.
Worship leadership majors are:
- Equipped to lead worship in a way that conveys the fullness of mind and spirit before God — communicating with and for the current culture but still retaining the strength of scriptural faith and Christian history
- Prepared for service in a leadership role of ministry in the church and be able to function as a part of a team/staff relationship
- Able to understand, work with, and lead others in expressions of worship through musical, dramatic, and/or visual arts
- Well-equipped to pursue seminary or graduate education
- Provide a solid example, as a humble student of scripture and the world, of following Jesus in daily living
The Worship Leadership major consists of four clusters of courses in Bible, history, Christian ministry, and worship (see course requirements below). A minor is also available. Also, see information on the Music program.
View all details and course requirements for this program in the Milligan College Catalog (link below). The Milligan College academic catalog is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other sources will default to the Catalog.