Biblical and Theological Studies
School of Bible & Ministry
The Biblical and Theological Studies major provides a focused study of the Bible, church history, and theology to prepare for graduate studies in preparation for a vocation of teaching. Students are prepared to:
- Interpret Christian scripture responsibly
- Identify and critically analyze appropriate sources in academic research
- Understand and assess contemporary church beliefs and practices in light of church history
- Have above-average facility with either Greek or Hebrew through the intermediate level
- Conduct mentored research of a high caliber, culminating in a conference presentation
- Develop the personal and spiritual maturity necessary for a vocation in teaching
MINISTRY LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
This major is part of the Ministry Leadership Program. Learn more about this exciting program »
Biblical and Theological Studies – B.A.
Bible (12 hrs)
- BIBL 201 Jesus in the Gospels (3 hrs)
- BIBL 211 Old Testament Images of God (3 hrs)
- 3 hrs of Old Testament from BIBL 252, 301, 304, 343, 351, 352, 355, 405, or 432
- 3 hrs of New Testament from BIBL 202, 313, 321, 322, 324, 325, 328, 411, 412, or 452
- BIBL 295 (Seminar), 489 (Directed Readings), and 495 (Seminar) may be suitable Old or New Testament electives, depending on course content. Approved seminary courses in Old or New Testament may also serve as electives.
Church History/Theology (12 hrs)
- HIST 341 and 342 Church History (6 hrs)
- HIST 431 The Stone-Campbell Movement in the North American Context (3 hrs)
- 3 hrs of electives chosen from BIBL 473, CMIN 365, HIST/BIBL 323, HIST/BIBL 343, HIST 250, 352, 432, and other approved church history or theology electives. Approved seminary courses in church history or theology may also serve as electives.
Approved Electives (12 hrs)
- Approved electives in BIBL, CMIN, COMM, GREE, HEBR, HIST, PHIL, SOCL, and other undergraduate and seminary courses approved by the Area Chair and chosen in close consultation with the student’s adviser.
Mentored Research (3 hrs)
- BIBL 499A, 499B, 499C
Theological Integration (1 hr)
- CMIN 480 Theological Integration
Total number of required hours: 40
In addition to courses in the major, students must complete the General Education Requirements for a bachelor of arts degree as described in the 2018-19 catalog.
To earn a bachelor’s degree, a student must complete 128 semester hours in courses with course numbers at the 100 level or above. The B.A. degree requires foreign language through the intermediate level. The Biblical and Theological Studies major requires the study of Greek or Hebrew through the intermediate level.
Students majoring in Biblical and Theological Studies must compile a portfolio of their work demonstrating their competencies regarding the outcomes listed above. The final form of this portfolio is compiled, reviewed, and assessed by the Bible Area faculty as part of the required Theological Integration course taken during the final year. Students pursuing double majors must complete the required portfolio for the Biblical and Theological Studies major.
Also see MINORS in:
- Biblical Languages
View all details and course requirements for this program in the Milligan College Catalog (link below). The Milligan College academic catalog is the official, authoritative source for all academic requirements and policies. Any discrepancies in curricular requirements from other sources will default to the Catalog.