Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Senior art exhibit, ‘Attention to Detail,’ opens Feb. 18

MILLIGAN, Tenn. (Feb. 15, 2024) — Senior art major Austin Walker will present a senior exhibition in the Milligan Art Gallery in Derthick Hall from Feb. 18-29. An opening reception will be held Sunday, Feb. 18, 2-4 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Walker’s exhibit, “Attention to Detail,” was inspired by the natural world, specifically the mountains of East Tennessee and the South Mountains in North Carolina. He also drew inspiration from his family and his upbringing on a farm.

“These subjects have all been meaningful in my life,” says Walker. “I want to represent them through my artistic interpretation.”

Walker is an art and graphic design major from Casar, North Carolina, and a member of Milligan’s cross country and track and field teams. This exhibit will feature his paintings and drawings which highlight realism and emphasize attention to detail.

“In order to achieve the right level of realism and detail for each piece, I spend hundreds of hours layering in different colors of acrylic paint or colored pencil,” shares Walker. “Attention to detail defines my process as an artist and it’s the way in which I push myself to perfection.”

As Walker reflects on his time at Milligan, he feels gratitude for his professors and the ability to pursue directed studies.

“Directed studies have given me the opportunity to take my skills to the next level,” said Walker. “I give credit to God for placing such good teachers in my life, and with every piece, my goal is to challenge myself in a way that forces me to grow and improve. In doing so, I seek to glorify God.”

To learn more about Milligan’s performing, visual and communicative arts program, visit www.milligan.edu/pvc.

Posted by Greer, Allie E on February 15, 2024.