Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Storytelling event, ‘Buffalo Tales,’ on December 5

A student performs at last year’s “Buffalo Tales.”

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (Nov. 27, 2018)—Milligan College will host its 11th annual “Buffalo Tales,” a family-friendly, student storytelling event, on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at 6 p.m. in the college’s McGlothlin-Street Theatre located in the Gregory Center. This event is free and open to the public.

“Buffalo Tales” serves as the final exam for students in this semester’s storytelling class. The event will feature a variety of tales, including children’s stories, biblical retellings and personal anecdotes.

For Dr. Shannon Hogan, assistant professor of business administration at Milligan, the performances at last year’s “Buffalo Tales” were so impressive that he decided to enroll in the course this fall.

“I’ve told many stories as a professor and minister, but when I saw the storytelling event last year, I decided to enroll,” said Hogan. “I wanted to learn to tell stories more effectively. I have six kids, and for nothing else, I want to do this for my kids.”

Hogan will join freshman Mallory Fehl for a retelling of the children’s tale, “Jack and Jill.” In their version, Jack and Jill hike Buffalo Mountain, and several classmates, faculty and staff will join them on stage to present a local rendition of this classic.

“Storytelling is an art and a powerful form of communication,” said Dr. Bruce Montgomery, professor of communications. “I really enjoy seeing the students step up and showcase the skills they’ve learned in the class.”

“Buffalo Tales” will occur again in the spring semester on May 3 at 6 p.m. For more Milligan arts events, visit www.milligan.edu/arts.

Posted by on November 27, 2018.