Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

‘Numinous’ exhibit to showcase artistic talent of Milligan senior

“The Hat Lady” | Krista KnudtsenMILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (March 12, 2014) — “Numinous,” an art exhibit by Milligan College senior Krista Knudtsen, opens Sunday, March 23, from 2 to 4 p.m., in the Milligan Art Gallery, located in the lower level of Derthick Hall.

The exhibit will remain open through March 28. The reception and exhibit are free and open to the public.

Knudtsen majors in fine arts with an emphasis in art and minors in digital media and English.

Her exhibit will feature drawings, paintings and sculpture works.

Numinous is defined as “the powerful, personal feeling of being overwhelmed and inspired” and “filled with a sense of the presence of divinity.”

“I came across this word one day and felt that it had elements that I wanted to emphasize in my art,” said Knudtsen, a native of Manila, Philippines. “The creation of art is based on inspiration and should also provide inspiration to others.”

Knudtsen won an award for one of her pieces, “The Hat Lady,” at Milligan’s annual Juried Art Exhibition in April 2013.

“The Hat Lady” and another piece titled “Over the Top” were also on display in the “Journeys of Women” art exhibit in Jonesborough, Tenn., in October 2013. The exhibit featured the work of Northeast Tennessee female artists.

Both of these pieces will be on display in Knudtsen’s “Numinous” exhibit.

“So much of my art comes from my experience of beauty and meaning, and my desire is to fill my own creations with both of those things,” Knudtsen said.

For more information on arts events at Milligan, visit www.milligan.edu/arts.

Posted by on March 12, 2014.