Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan graduates 152

By Madison Mathews
Johnson City Press

MILLIGAN COLLEGE — Lakeysha Aples always knew she wanted to be a nurse.

After years of hard work within Milligan’s nursing program, Aples received her bachelor’s degree in nursing Saturday during the college’s spring commencement ceremony in which 152 graduates were given their degrees.

“It feels like I would never be here, but I finally made it and … it’s a wonderful feeling. It’s a big accomplishment,” she said.

Aples is the first person to graduate from college in her family and is thankful that she was able to graduate from a school like Milligan.

“It’s a smaller school, you know, they give you lots of attention. It’s been a wonderful experience here. I’ve definitely enjoyed every bit of it,” she said.

Aples will continue to use the knowledge she learned while in the college’s nursing program as she works at the Johnson City Medical Center.

Brian Busby, of Florence, S.C., transferred into Milligan during his junior year in 2007 from Florence-Darlington Technical College. On Saturday, Busby received his bachelor’s degree in communications with an emphasis on public relations and advertising.

“It’s such a milestone for me and it’s just a big part of my life and time to close one chapter and open up another one,” he said.

Busby said he believes he made the right choice in changing schools and that it has made him a better person.

“God led me here and I’m glad he did. It’s been a great experience. I’ve changed not only as a person, but my relationship with Christ has changed for the better,” he said.

Elizabethton native Laura Bowman didn’t give much thought to going to Milligan at first, but after visiting the school, Bowman said she could tell there was something “special” about the college.

“It’s a great community to be a part of. I’m from this area, so I feel like it’s just an extension of the local community that I’ve always been a part of,” she said.

Bowman received her bachelor’s degree in public leadership and service and plans to attend Samford University Cumberland School of Law in the fall. She said Milligan gave her a great foundation that she will be able to use as she embarks on the next part of her journey as a graduate student.

“I don’t think any other school could’ve prepared me as well,” she said.

Photo by Madison Mathews

Posted by on May 9, 2010.