Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Pepperdine professor joins Emmanuel faculty

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (June 17, 2016) – Pepperdine University professor Dr. Gary S. Selby will join the faculty ranks of Emmanuel Christian Seminary at Milligan in January 2017, serving as professor of ministerial formation.

Currently, Selby serves as Pepperdine’s Carl P. Miller Chair of Communication and director of the university’s Center for Faith and Learning where he developed the COMMUNITAS Early Career Pastoral Leadership Program. He is a frequent lecturer and featured speaker on Christian leadership, as well as on the integration of faith and learning. In 2013, he was the keynote presenter for the Macleod Lectures on Preaching at Princeton Theological Seminary.

“Dr. Selby brings stellar credentials and experience, a passion for teaching and scholarship, and a love for ministry and the church to this important position at Milligan,” said Dr. Garland Young, vice president for academic affairs at Milligan. “He will play a critical role on the Emmanuel faculty in guiding and mentoring ministerial students through the seminary’s degree programs, as well as further deepening the strong academic profile of Milligan’s School of Bible and Ministry. All of our students will be richly blessed by his presence on our campus.”

Selby has spent more than 35 years in formal and informal service to the church, including two formal ministry appointments, one lasting 19 years.

“Church life is in my DNA,” said Selby. “I love ministry, and I am committed to helping churches become places of spiritual and emotional flourishing. Having spent several decades pastoring churches, I have a special heart for people who serve in ministry and a desire to honor them and support them.”

Selby’s connection with Milligan started when his son, Tyler, enrolled in 2005, earning his Bachelor of Arts in 2009 and later receiving his Master of Arts in Religion from Emmanuel in 2013.

“I have been deeply impressed with Milligan and Emmanuel from the time my son, Tyler, first enrolled at Milligan,” said Selby. “I am especially grateful for the formative influence that Emmanuel had on him and on my daughter-in-law, Katie.”

Dr. Selby holds a Doctor of Philosophy in public communication from the University of Maryland and a Master of Theology from Harding University Graduate School of Religion. He has completed additional graduate work in the philosophy of religion and New Testament at Wesley Theological Seminary. Prior to Pepperdine, he taught at George Washington University.

For more information on Gary Selby click here.

Posted by on June 17, 2016.