Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan presents “The Diary of Anne Frank”

Diary of Anne Frank

Anne Frank PR GraphicMILLIGAN COLLEGE, Tenn. (Sept. 29, 2014) – Milligan College presents the dramatic portrayal of “The Diary of Anne Frank” on Oct. 23-25 at 7:30 p.m. and Oct. 26 at 2:30 p.m. in the McGlothlin-Street Theatre located in the Gregory Center for Liberal Arts.

“The Diary of Anne Frank” is a passionate retelling of the events surrounding the Nazi occupation of Amsterdam during WWII and the compelling story chronicled by Anne Frank. It is directed by Professor of Theatre Richard Major and designed by Pamela Adolphi.

The role of Anne Frank will be played by Darcie DeLong, a senior at Milligan from Indianapolis double-majoring in English and theatre.

“When I finished the book for the first time in sixth grade, I remember thinking, ‘Is this actually a real story?’” said DeLong, who has acted in previous Milligan theatre productions. “I could not believe this happened to real people. I was heartbroken.”

The power of the story, however, comes from Frank’s steadfast belief in the goodness of people.

“She extended grace to humanity, forgiving it for what it had done to her,” said DeLong. “That kind of strength and positivity is incredibly inspiring. Anne Frank did not abandon her belief in the face of adversity.”

In her portrayal, DeLong plans to embody the “vitality” of the real Anne Frank, who she describes as “enthusiastic” and “winsome.”

“I auditioned because of my long time love for Anne,” said DeLong. “I felt as though we were not done with each other yet. There was still more for me to learn from her.”

All seats are $7.50, and advance tickets go on sale Wednesday, Oct. 1. To purchase, visit the Milligan College Bookstore, open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (and until 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays), or call 423.461.8733.

For more information on Milligan arts events, visit www.milligan.edu/arts.

CategoriesArts, Community, News
Posted by on September 29, 2014.