Milligan Concert Choir on the road again
Categories: Milligan Press Release
MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (March 7, 2013) — The Milligan College Concert Choir will revive a long-standing, favorite tradition as it embarks on a concert tour of the east coast of the United States during the college’s spring break, March 11-15.
Conducted by Noah DeLong, assistant professor of music at Milligan, the 41-member choir will perform in churches in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The choir will wrap up the tour with a final performance on Saturday, March 23, at 7:30 p.m. in Milligan’s Mary B. Martin Auditorium, located in Seeger Memorial Chapel. The concert is free and open to the public.
“The Concert Choir has toured for many years, but I am grateful to be able to lead my first choir tour at Milligan this year,” DeLong said. “A tour is a fantastic chance to create and deepen friendships as we spend a lot of time together on the bus. It is also a great opportunity to improve musically as we perform our program at many different venues night after night.”
DeLong also is excited to meet people at the various churches who come to the concerts and who host the student performers in their homes.
Since the Concert Choir will be traveling through many areas with national historical significance, the tour program consists of music exclusively by American composers. Audience members will be treated to a variety of music, including the rugged tunes of “The Sacred Harp,” classic pieces from Randall Thompson and Aaron Copland, American folk songs, gospel songs, and contemporary works by Rosephanye Powell and Eric Whitacre.
“We have a really fine group of singers this year,” DeLong said. “I have been very impressed by the hard work and positive attitudes of each member, and I am quite proud to take the choir on the road as ambassadors of Milligan.”
This year’s choir tour engagements include:
- Saturday, March 9, 5:05 p.m. (worship service) & 6:30 p.m. (mini-concert) at Mountain Christian Church (Joppa, Md.)
- Sunday March 10, 8:08, 9:49 & 11:31 a.m. (worship services) at Mountain Christian Church (Joppa, Md.); 7 p.m. (concert) at Church of Christ at Manor Woods (Rockville, Md.)
- Monday, March 11, 7 p.m. (concert) at Flemington First Church of Christ (Allison Township, Pa.)
- Tuesday, March 12, 7 p.m. (concert) at Blanchard Church of Christ (Blanchard, Pa.)
- Friday, March 15, 7:30 p.m. (concert) at First Christian Church at Brock Hall (Upper Marlboro, Md.)
- Sunday, March 17, 8:15, 9:30 & 11 a.m. (worship services) and 6 p.m. (concert with Heritage) at Fairmount Christian Church (Mechanicsville, Va.)
To learn more about arts events at Milligan, visit www.milligan.edu. For more information about the music area, call 423.461.8723.
MILLIGAN COLLEGE is a Christian liberal arts college in Northeast Tennessee whose vision is to change lives and shape culture through a commitment to servant leadership. The college offers more than 100 majors, minors, pre-professional degrees and concentrations in a variety of fields, along with graduate and adult degree completion programs. To learn more about Milligan College, visit www.milligan.edu or call 800-447-5922.